Venice, 10 June 2021
Call for expressions of interest for Postdoctoral Fellowships in Environmental Humanities
The Center for the Humanities and Social Change at Ca’Foscari University of Venice is seeking candidates for a maximum of four Postdoctoral Fellowships in Environmental Humanities. This program allows applicants to launch a successful research-intensive career while working on a project that aligns with the host institution’s strategic priorities.
The Center for the Humanities and Social Change is an intellectual community with strong links with the The New Institute in Hamburg, privileged interactions with the European Center for Living Technology, all University departments, and many other cultural institutions in Venice. The fellows are expected to work in residence in Venice and actively contribute to the Center activities (e.g. offering seminars for the M.A. in Environmental Humanities and/or organizing academic and outreach events). They will be offered office space and full access to the university libraries and research facilities.
Ca’ Foscari Center for the Humanities and Social Change Postdoctoral Fellows in Environmental Humanities are scholars who have received their degrees in the humanities, social science, or other areas relevant to the Environmental Humanities. Applicants must either have worked in the area of Environmental Humanities or show potential for research interest in this field. Evidence of active research and publications in peer-reviewed journals will be an added advantage. The Center seeks to provide a stimulating scholarly environment in which to pursue research, develop new interdisciplinary connections, and network with others. Fellows join lectures and conferences as appropriate to their research and may play a role in the planning of working groups and events. The Postdoctoral Fellowship will provide an annual stipend of € 27, 770 euros before tax. The fellowship may be renewed for a second year.
Your expression of interest should include a Curriculum Vitae (max 3 pages), the names and contact information of two referees, and a two-page research project focused on one (or more) of the following areas:
- the blue humanities: humanistic perspectives on water, the ocean, rising sea levels, water politics and cultures; (in collaboration with TBA21/Ocean Space);
- the city of Venice as both an object of study and a point of observation on global environmental issues;
- the roots and routes of Asian environmental thought and/or the Medical Humanities (with particular reference to Buddhism);
- the role of the arts in the construction and transformation of the environmental imagination;
- environment and intersectional inequalities, with particular attention to issues of labour, migration and social justice;
- the environmental crisis and the future of democracy, with special emphasis on the issue of public environmental discourse, the use of social media and online communication.
For all these areas we encourage projects that engage non-western and indigenous cultures; address issues of minority, gender, ethnicity, disability; suggest pedagogical and activist practices; engage with the tangible and intangible heritage of Venice and its contemporary art scene; formulate strategies of environmental communication.
Please direct expression of interest and queries by 15 July 2021 to:
Dr. Barbara Del Mercato, Project Manager – E-mail: email@example.com (Subject: HSC_EOI2021)
After the closure of the present call for expressions of interest, HSC will issue a formal Call for Applications in August. Fellowships will begin on 1 October, 2021.